The Q&A Archives: little flowering of tree

Question: I have had a lovely flowering crabapple for years. This year there were hardly any blooms. I do not feed it or pay much attention to it other than remove climbing vines. What should I be doing to it either in the spring or fall to remedy this, please? Thank you

Answer: Oscillating temperatures can damage the flower buds, as can late frosts. I suspect the lack of flowering was caused by the unusual winter and spring weather we had. A mature crabapple tree really should not need extra fertilizing to bloom well, especially if it is planted adjacent to a lawn that is regularly fertilized. If it blooms poorly again next spring you might want to consult on site with an arborist to try to determine what is causing the problem. Good luck with your tree!