The Q&A Archives: Dying Arbor Vitae?

Question: We purchased and planted 16 5-7' Emerald Green Arbor Vitae (Thuja occidentalis) in mid-may. Mysteriously, four out of the 16 shrubs seemed to

Answer: Based on your description, I am not certain what happened to the arborvitaes. This type of problem is very difficult to diagnose long distance. When transplanting fails it can be due to a wide variety of reasons such as poor handling prior to purchase to wind exposure during transport to poor planting procedures to uneven watering after planting to pest or disease issues or to planting in an unsuitable location to just general transplant shock. If arborvitaes turn brown all over it is really not a good sign at all. I would suggest you work with your local county extension to try to determine what happened more specifically. Also, if there was a warranty make sure you contact the retail store where you purchased the plants.