The Q&A Archives: Searching for Seeds of Italian "Cluster" Tomatoes

Question: Three years ago in Italy, I found and enjoyed "clusters" of 3-4" tomatoes that grew in a cluster as our smaller cherry tomatoes do. They were sold by the branch in local markets. Last year they began to appear in Northern California gourmet fruit markets - flown in from Europe and costing $3.99 to $4.99 per lb. Can you identify the variety, and is there a source for seed in the U.S.? (The appeal is as much visual as for the flavor, and the Italians said that this type of picking insured that fruit was still fresh in the markets because the vines would wither). David blecki Carlsbad, CA

Answer: I don't know the variety of those small, egg-shaped tomatoes on the vine that you're finding in your local stores. I know of a good variety that will produce nice fruits similar to what you describe (Enchantment) and it's available to grow from, Shepherd's Garden Seeds 30 Irene St. Torrington, CT 06790 860-482-3638.