The Q&A Archives: How do I control Bark Beetles??

Question: I live in Hawi Hawaii on the north end of the Big Island.This year we are experiencing drought conditions which may be contributing to a severe bark beetle infestation problem. We have 30 evergreen trees that have been attacked and really need your help and recommendations of pesticides to control the pests before they kill all our trees.
Your assistance with a proper fighting strategy will be greatly appreciated.
Ken and Veronica Benoit

Answer: Except for general cultural practices that improve tree vigor, little can be done to control most bark beetles beneath bark once trees have been attacked. I checked with the University of Hawaii and they are monitoring the problem, but did not offer any control strategies. You might want to contact your local cooperative extension office to see if they have any suggestions for you: Kamuela Extension Office, P. O. Bo 237, Kamuela, HI 96743, (808)887-6183. Komohana Extension Office, 875 Komohana St., Hilo HI 96720, (808)959-9155. Kona Extension Office, 79-7381 Mamalahoa Hwy.
Kealakekua, HI 96750, (808)322-4892

Best wishes with your trees!