The Q&A Archives: trees japanese maple green and red

Question: I have two japanese maple trees one red one green either I water too much or not enough I have them in planter because I don't have room in the yard. The red one is coming back to life but the green looks dead. How do you care for these trees

Answer: For the most part, Japanese maples like morning sun and afternoon shade. With too much hot afternoon sunshine the leaves can sunburn and turn crispy brown. If your trees are in full sunshine, try to find a shadier spot for them. They like well draining soil and a deep soaking once or twice a week, depending upon weather. When you water, water thoroughly and then don't water again until the top inch of soil has dried out. You can feed with a water soluable fertilizer (such as Miracle Grow or Peter's, at a dilution rate of 1 TBS. per gallon of water). Feed every 3-4 weeks from April through September.

Best wishes with your maples!