The Q&A Archives: Children's Garden Room

Question: What types of things would I need to create an outddor garden room for children to sit and read? I just created multiple gardens in my school courtyard.

Answer: What a lovely project! Depending on how much space you have, you might provide a variety of benches and picnic tables, chairs, and tree stumps to sit on. Or, perhaps you could keep a collection of carpet squares (washable so they can be hosed off and kept clean.) You might provide a shade tree or garden umbrellas or a pergola or an awning to keep off hot sun and protect tender skin from sunburn. A windbreak might be helpful in keeping it useable longer into the fall and earlier in the spring. For more ideas on gardening with children you might want to take a look at

Enjoy your projects!