The Q&A Archives: Bleeding Heart has stopped beating

Question: My bleeding heart was planted in June in a shady area and was looking beautiful until mid-July. The plant began to turn yellow. I assumed it was not getting enough water. However, even with additional watering, the plant continues to turn yellow. Is there any hope for my bleeding heart? Is it natural for the bleeding heart to turn yellow at this time of year? (By the way, it has not been very hot this summer. As a matter of fact, it has been warm and breezy.)

Thank you in advance for answering my question and any information you can give me.

Answer: What you are experiencing with your Dicentra is normal. Bleeding hearts die down to ground level in mid-summer so no amount of coaxing, watering or feeding will make the slightest difference. But, next spring they will pop up and flower again. I'm afraid it's the plant's nature so enjoy them while they're in their prime, then let them rest until next year.