The Q&A Archives: Ornamental Grass

Question: I would like to plant some ornamental grass that is a perennial. What can I plant this fall that will come up in the spring? I live on the North Shore of MA.

Answer: Unlike lawn grasses that are best seeded in the early fall, ornamental grasses are propagated by division. The divisions are best planted in the spring when their roots will grow actively and they will establish quickly. Fall planted ornamental grasses often fail, even when considered hardy for the zone, so I would suggest you wait until spring to purchase and plant ornamental grasses. The following chart describes a number of perennial grasses that should do well in your area. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

I hope this helps.