The Q&A Archives: Broccoli Seedlings

Question: I started my broccoli (Packman) in flats indoors under lights. The flat is covered with clear plastic dome. The lights are just clearing the dome. They came up in 3 days, but then within 24 hours they were hitting the dome. I removed the dome and within a day they were 3 inches tall with the two leaves at the top. Now they are falling over due to being top heavy. I've never tried broccoli before. What am I doing wrong? I've grown many different seedlings this way and never had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Your broccoli is victim of too much of what we humans in the north are short of right now - warmth and humidity. Broccoli, along with other members of the cabbage family, is a fan of cool weather. Since 'Packman' sprouted so quickly, I suggest trying again, but this time, remove the clear dome as soon as any of the seedlings shows through the soil. Lower the light to within an inch of the soil, and raise it as the broccoli grows, keeping the light within 1". For healthy growth keep temperatures on the mild side - 55F at night, and 65 during the day. You should be able to<br>transplant them about 5 weeks after sowing. Hope this helps!<br><br><br><br>