The Q&A Archives: petunias

Question: I have petunias growing in hanging pots. They are getting very leggy. Should I cut them back or what?

Answer: Quite often petunias grow leggy and thin by now. Cutting them back in early August will help rejuvenate them for blooming long into the fall. Also be sure they are adequately fertilized (use as slow release or water soluble fertilizer such as 10-10-10 plus minors per the label directions) and water as needed to keep the soil slightly moist like a wrung out sponge. When they have grown large in relation to the size of the container, this can mean watering twice a day during really hot sunny weather. Deadheading or removing the spent blooms can also help with certain varieties. Good luck with your petunias!