The Q&A Archives: Get rid of carpet grass

Question: We plugged part of our back yard two years ago with Floratam and have been battling with removal of carpet grass. We have been manually weeding, using baking soda, and Arm & Hammer laundry soap with baking soda. These things slow down the growth, but I am not sure we are getting ahead of it. Our neighbor has used WeedNFeed for crabgrass, but it says specifically not to use it on St. Augustine. The area they used it was almost all carpet grass; I don't see any St. Augustine left in it; it did kill the carpet grass. Our areas have more St. Augustine in them, and I am afraid to use the WeedNFeed. Is there anything else we can try?

Answer: Tony,

That is a difficult situation. There is not a good way to kill carpetgrass without killing St. Augustine. I might try using a wiper applicator to put a product such as glyphosate (Roundup is one brand) or a grass killer such as imazaquin or fluazifop by wiping it on the non-desired species here and there but not on the desired species. After a few such activities over time you'll be getting more and more St. Augustine and less and less carpetgrass. The following web site shows how to build a wiper to use: