The Q&A Archives: Brown Patches

Question: I have a few brown patches in my front yard. I know it is from my dog using the restroom, what can I do to get rid of the spots he is creating?

Answer: The grass dies because of excessive salts. If you can hose the area off immediately, you can dilute the urine and it won't kill the grass. This isn't always as easy to do and we might hope, but it is effective. Aside from that, you might just plan on replacing the affected grass periodically by raking out the dead grass and reseeding the bare areas. About the only other thing you can do is train your dog to go in a specific spot. I know in my yard I just put up with it and replace the bare spots with sod or reseed in spring and again in fall. It's a small price to pay for the companionship of a trusted friend!