The Q&A Archives: Forsythea

Question: Only half of my Forsythea fence turns yellow in the spring. This has been happening for the last two years. Prior to that it always was yellow in the spring and green in the summer. What do I need to do to ensure that the entire fence turns yellow first? Is the soil too acidic or alkaline?

Frustrated Gardener

Answer: There are several typical reasons why forsythia might not bloom. Forsythias bloom on old wood that grew the previous year. Excessive winter cold can sometimes prevent flowering. Another reason might be pruning at the wrong time of year. (The only "safe" time to prune is in the spring right after they bloom.) Another reason for lack of bloom might be too much shade. This is a plant that blooms best in full direct sun all day long. Maybe, if you look at the growing conditions for both parts you will be able to identify a difference that would account for this. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.