The Q&A Archives: Iceberg Lettuce

Question: I have 6 Iceberg lettuce plants that are forming the heads. Do I need to wait for a complete head to develop or can I start cutting the plant? If I cut it will it form more heads of lettuce?

Answer: You can harvest Iceberg lettuce at any stage of development, but most gardeners wait until the heads reach 5-6 inches in diameter. Each plant will only produce one head of lettuce, so once you cut it, you'll have to plant new seeds to get a new head of lettuce. Why not plan to harvest one head every week or two so you'll have fresh lettuce over a long period of time? Next time you plant lettuce, plant only a few seeds , wait two weeks and plant more seeds, then wait two more weeks and plant more seeds? If you extend your planting times, the lettuce won't mature all at once.