The Q&A Archives: Reviving New Lawn

Question: I just moved into a rental property in a newly built subdivision. The property management company neglected to maintain the lawn while it was listed for rental and when I moved in it was already dying in places from lack of watering. The grass is centipede and the soil appears to be some kind of a red clay. I was wondering what steps I should take in order to revive my lawn without going overboard (i.e. sprinkler system, etc.) since this isn't a property that I own.

Answer: Jeff,

I suggest you start by watering with a good soaking and then apply water at a rate of about 1/2 inch to 1 inch per week. You can purchase centipede seed and reseed the bare areas if they are fairly large and you don't feel the existing grass will fill in very fast. Otherwise I would just provide a little moisture and give it some fertilizer (1/2 pound of nitrogen per 1000 square feet) and then water that in well.