The Q&A Archives: What are the best bulbs for a mild winter and early spring?

Question: I would like to plant an array of several different flowering bulbs in my garden this fall for the spring. In South Alabama it really doesn't start to cool off until Nov. Can you suggest the best flowering bulbs to plant for this climate? When should they be planted? And do they need to be refridgerated before planting? Thank You! S.C.

Answer: Suzanne,

I would plant naturalizing bulb so you don't have to replant each year. There are several species that do well but you will want to visit with local gardeners or a local arboretum as they may have bulbs to share and they can also suggest specific varieties that have done well for them.

Oxblood lily, spider lily, St. Joseph's Lily (Hippeastrum x johnsonii), rainlilies, and several types of daffodils and paperwhites should work for your area quite well.