The Q&A Archives: Biennials

Question: I'm looking for a yellow or red flowering biennial. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: A biennial is a plant that flowers and dies in the second growing season after germination. That means the first year there is no flower; the second year it blooms and produces seeds and then promptly dies. Is that what you're looking for? Will itbe a fill-in type flower in your perennial bed? Also, they need to be protected from weather extremes and heavings with a heavy mulch applied after the ground has frozen. Remember to keep these things in mind when you look for a biennial plant.<br> <br>Some of my favorite bienniels are Canterbury-bells, Sweet William, Foxglove, Hollyhocks and Rose Campion. Most of these can be found in a variety of colors. I'll bet you'll find just what you're looking for!<br>