The Q&A Archives: Indoor shade loving hanging houseplants

Question: I am looking to buy some house plants

- my apartment is dark so they need to be shade lovers.
- They need to hang from the ceiling or wall because my cats will eat them.

Can you suggest any? Do you sell them?

Answer: Unfortunately, the selection is a bit sparse due to low light levels and then needing a trailing plant that will look attractive in a hanging basket. Some shade tolerant houseplants suited to hanging baskets would include English ivy (Hedera helix) and Philodendron. Luckily, there are a number of different types of English ivy so you can collect a variety of leaf shapes with different variegated patterns on them.

I should also mention that both of these plants are considered toxic to plants, so please be cautious. Here is the Cat Fanciers List of plants that can be toxic to cats so you have it for reference.

Given all of the above, you may want to consider using some of the newer artifical plants. There are some synthetics on the market nowadays that are shockingly realistic-looking and require no special care beyond an occasional dusting to look terrific.

Good luck with your plants!