The Q&A Archives: Which Plants to Start Indoors

Question: What are the best vegetables to start inside as opposed to sowing directly into the soil. I plant lettuce, broccoli, peppers (green, yellow, and assorted hot), eggplant, green beans, cucumbers, and onions. I usually buy others as plants from nurseries.

Answer: Of the plants you mention, I like to start my broccoli, peppers, and eggplant indoors. By starting broccoli (and other cool-weather cole vegetables like cabbage) indoors, they'll be ready to transplant outdoors in late spring, and have time to maturebefore the heat of summer hits. Starting longer-season, warm weather crops like peppers and eggplant indoors means you'll have a longer season of harvest before the frost hits.<br><br>I start lettuce, beans, cucumbers, and onions directly in the garden. (Cucumbers can go either way--some people like to start them indoors, I sow them right in the garden.) Hope this helps!