The Q&A Archives: hydrangea

Question: I have two hydrangea plants: Endless Summer and Light-O-Day. They seem to require a lot of water, is that natural? And what should I do to both plants to prepare them for winter?
Thank you!

Answer: Hydrangeas appreciate moist soil so I don't think it is unnatural for them to expect frequent watering, especially during the hottest months of the year. Light-O-Day is a variegated lace cap mutation of the widely popular re-blooming hydrangea Endless Summer. Compared to other variegated hydrangeas, it has a more reliable bloom, better hardiness and at least as good creamy white variegation. Don't expect 'Light O' Day' to re-bloom like Endless Summer, but any bloom from a variegated hydrangea in the shade is a blessing indeed. And you will certainly get more blooms from Light O? Day than from any other variegated hydrangea grown in similar conditions. For maximum bloom production, choose a spot that is lightly shaded, dabbled shade or shaded in the afternoon with morning sun.

The inner blooms are either pink or blue, depending on the soil acidity. Surrounding the inner blooms are bright white flowers. ?Light O? Day? will reach about four feet tall and four feet wide. It prefers moist soil (not wet) in a place with afternoon shade and morning sun. Light O? Day makes an excellent choice for the woodland garden or along the north side of the house or garage.

Endless summer flowers on both old and new wood and therefore flowers all summer long. Except to spread a few inches of mulch around the plants, you won't need to do anything to prepare them for winter. In the spring, when buds begin to swell on the stems, you can prune the stems back to 12-18" high. This will encourage lots of new growth and keep the shrubs neat and attractive.