The Q&A Archives: careers

Question: Thank you; I appreciate you sharing your educational experience. I am wondering, if I pursue a bachelors degree in horticulture or a related field and I eventually become employed in that field, will I be able to support a family? Is horticulturism more of a hobby as opposed to way to provide a higher standard of living? It seems that a person needs at least a masters degree to qualify for employment that will sustain a decent lifestyle. My goal is to earn enough money to have a nice lifestyle and still enjoy my employment.

Answer: If you love working with plants, you'll love the field of horticulture. You can make a decent living in the field. Here's a website with tons of information on careers in horticulture:

If you're 18 or over, you might look into the Master Gardener program in your area. This is a volunteer program; they provide the training (which is quite extensive) in exchange for some volunteer time where you share your new knowledge with others. There are probably training classes in your county. Here's the USU cooperative extension website:

Best wishes with your research!