The Q&A Archives: Can my adonindia palms survive?

Question: Hi We bouight 4 adonindia palms from your new port richey store in sept 2006. We got your large ones $199.99 ea. We lost 2 due to cold temps probably. I was told by our local extension agent we sit near the northern boundary for these palms. i see them alot around water or in malls. the tag said they were resiliant to 40 degrees f. i just replaced 2 of the and need suggestions on establishing them thru another zip code is 34669...thanks Mark J. Age

Answer: Mark,

When you take a plant to the northern end of its zone there is a risk each winter in losing it. You can wrap a palm over winter to protect it some from the cold but this is quite a task and is rather unsightly. If they were mine I think I would just take the risk and see how the winter turns out and if one is lost then not replace them with a marginally hardy palm but rather choose a hardier type of palm. Those palms are quite an investment and it is a shame to lose one, but you can't control the weather and protecting them is a challenge to say the least.