The Q&A Archives: Weeds

Question: Inspite of using fertilizers with wed control, I have a segment of lawn overgrown with weeds. What can I do?

Answer: Healthy lawn grass crowds out most weeds. Weeds generally grow best where the lawn grass is struggling. You might try to figure out why this is happening in that one area. For example, is it shady or is the soil different there? In general, if an area is very weedy it may be best to kill the existing vegetation and start over with the lawn grass. You can use an herbicide containing glyphosate to do that, read and follow the label directions carefully and completely. Then loosen the soil down at least six inches, work in some organic matter such as compost, add fertilizer and limestone (as indicated by soil tests) and then reseed. September is a good time of year to do this type of job. I hope this helps!