The Q&A Archives: container tomatoes

Question: I planted beefsteak tomatoes in containers. I've gotten alot of tomatoes off the plants but the tomatoes are very small. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: The variety you grow is important for flavor, but how you grow your tomatoes will determine if you have loads of beautiful fruits or a few small fruits on weak plants. Since you are growing in containers, you'll want to use fresh garden soil each spring, amended with some compost or aged-manure to provide nutrients to your plants. Tomatoes need full sunshine to grow and fruit well, and lots of water. Try to keep the soil consistently moist throughout the growing season to keep blossom-end rot from attacking your plants. Tomatoes benefit from applications of fertilizer, but you'll want to be careful; too much nitrogen will result in lots of foliage and very few fruit. If you have a source of compost, you can make compost tea to fertilize your plants with. If not, fish emulsion does a good job of providing nutrients to plants.

Hope this information helps you grow outstanding tomatoes next season.