The Q&A Archives: Grass Seed

Question: we live in an area that is pure red clay. My husband has planted and planted grass seed. He has bought so many kinds and since we are always in a drought every year we are not allowed to water the grass everyday. What kind of grass seed would you buy and what should we do to our lawn to prepare it for new seed. Thank you! Judy L Lane

Answer: Judy,

Grasses differ quite a bit in their degree of drought hardiness. Fescue and Kentucky bluegrass or both quite susceptible to dry conditions. You might want to try any tougher grass depending on how cold it gets in your area.

Bermuda grass and zoysia grass or both good tough species and will do well in most parts of Georgia. Your County extension office can provide free information on choosing a lawn grass species and how to care for your lawn. I suggest you give them a call and request some of their free publications.