The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes

Question: My Brandywine Heirloom Tomatoes are setting on blooms but they don't set fruit they just dry up and die? The plant is big and healthy it is at least six feet tall and has only set one tomatoe all summer at they beginning of the season !! Is it too late to do anything I still continue to fertizle it with tomatoe food .

Answer: It doesn't sound as though the flowers are being pollinated. You can try tapping the branches with open flowers to coax the pollen to fall down from the male to the female parts of the flower. When temperatures are hot (over 90F), the pollen can become sterile and no pollination will take place. Since you can't control the temperatures, you may want to plan on planting tomatoes a bit earlier in the year so you can harvest the fruit before August when the weather is really hot.

Wish I had more suggestions!