The Q&A Archives: Lotus Pods for Arrangements

Question: I really enjoy growing plants to use in dried arrangements. I am searching for the lotus seed pods that we see in craft and florist shops. I would be interested in growing them if possible. I have several different types of environments on my farm. Sunny and arid, full shade, wetlands w/springs, a 60'x100' pond both in sun and shade, gently flowing stream, and your average flower beds and veggie gardens.

Answer: The American lotus is a member of the water lily family, botanical name Nelumbo. They are found in Ontario to New York, Minnesota, Florida, and Texas -- so you may be able to grow them in some section of your pond. They like a situation where they can be planted in full sun in a mud-bottom pond, covered with 1 to 3 feet of quiet water. The rhizomes should be protected from freezing.