The Q&A Archives: Community Gardening Info

Question: I am looking to re-locate soon, hopefully to a city in the Northeast with strong community gardening programs. Any suggestions for who to contact and how to find full-time employment in the field of community gardening and urban agriculture?

Answer: I'd start by contacting the American Community Gardening Association, 100 North 20th St., Philadelphia, PA 19103, ph# 215-988-8785. <br><br>The People-Plant Council is an umbrella group encouraging "research into the benefits...of working with plants...and community efforts." I'm not familiar with their work, but you might give them a try, at 407 Saunders Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061, ph# 540-231-6254.<br><br>You might also contact state universities' Departments of Urban Planning, or similar departments, as well as their horticulture departments. The various cities's Departments of Parks and Recreation may have connections and will likely have some involvement in the community gardens. And the Intervale Foundation, here in Burlington, Vermont, may have some leads for you. Write to them at 128 Intervale Rd., Burlington, VT 05401.<br><br>I hope this gets you started! Good luck!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"