The Q&A Archives: How do I get rid of unwanted plant life?

Question: I cleared some land to build a house and I cannot seem to get rid of little trees that seem to keep coming back. I have tried cutting them down again, and herbicides, (the kind the pro at the home center suggested) and even mixed it a little strong, but they won't die and go away. I am planning to clear more land this fall and winter and hope to not have this problem next year( or ever). What can I do to stop the tree sprouts from coming back? Oak, poplar, pine and others?

Answer: Michael,

There is no way to make the little trees not come back since they will sprout from seeds in the soil and new seeds are going to come up each year. You can kill him a little seedlings however with over-the-counter herbicides by the following method.
Cut off the seedlings near the ground and then immediately paint a full strength solution of a weed killer with either glyphosate or triclopyr as the active ingredient to the cut surfaces of the "stump".