The Q&A Archives: Mock Orange

Question: I have 2 Mock Orange bushes, purchased at different times and places. I have tried fertilizing,not fertilizing, pruning and not pruning. No flowers! What can I do?

Answer: Mock orange shrubs are notorious for doing this. Based on my experience I think it is a matter of maturity rather than anything the gardener does or doesn't do. These should be relatively low maintenance shrubs needing no special care. But in general, they need full sun all day long. Use a general purpose granular or slow release granular fertilizer such as 10-10-10 per the label directions in the spring. An annual top dressing of good quality compost and year round organic mulch about three inches deep will help feed the soil. Pruning would be limited to thinning out some of the oldest branches in early summer each year, after it flowers for the year. Beyond that, there is not much you can do except be patient. I hope it blooms for you next year!