The Q&A Archives: Pebble Tray

Question: Hello, I have a peace lily, In my book it suggests to keep soil moist & use a pebble tray. I never did that. Do I place the pebbles in the drain plate with water? Since this plant like humity would spraying the leafs also help?
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Thanks, Debbie

Answer: A pebble tray essentially provides additional humidity and with one, you won't need to mist the plant to keep humdity high. A pebble tray is simply a shallow tray in which you place a layer of pebbles and keep a half-inch or an inch of water (depending upon how deep the tray is). As the water evaporates, it increases humdity around the plant. You'll want to keep adding water to the tray as it evaporates. You don't want the roots or the potting soil to be sitting in the water, so don't simply put pebbles in the drip saucer of your plant. Instead, set the pot and drip saucer on top of the pebbles. Hope this makes sense!