The Q&A Archives: magnus coneflower

Question: I have had my coneflowers for over a year now and they really bloomed more this year and got fuller, I want to move them in a different area so they will have more room ,when is the best time to move them? Don't these flowers have a different name then magnus coneflower? Ninety percent of mine are yellow.

Answer: The best time to move your coneflowers is late fall (after frost has killed the tops), or early spring, just as new growth emerges. I like moving my perennials in late November or early December while they are dormant. They can establish their root systems prior to the growth spurt in spring. You can also divide the plants as you're digging and transplanting, which will increase your stock of plants.

Yellow coneflower is botanically Echinacea paradoxa. (Echinacea magnus is the purple coneflower). Yellow Coneflower should be spaced about 24" apart (or 24" away from other plants).

Best wishes with your garden!