The Q&A Archives: St. Augustine grass

Question: I have 2 big dogs who have created big mud patches in my st. augustine grass. I have put barriers around these dead areas and would like to know how to revive the grass. My concern is that it is now Sept 7 and do not know whether to plant the grass now or wait until spring. I do live in southern louisiana where we have a very mild winter. Also, I would like to know if st. augustine grass seeds are available or possibly some other grass seed of comparison.

Answer: Phil,

I would suggest you go and plant grass in those areas there is still some time for it to get established prior to the onset of winter. St. Augustine grass is not available by seed. You would do better to find a place that will sell pieces of sod for patching those areas.