The Q&A Archives: male hollies

Question: I pruchased a Blue Girl Holly and in the TIPS section of the tag it says to plant a male variety nearby for good fruit production. Where/how would I find such a variety and what distance would

Answer: The best pollinizer for Blue Girl Holly is a Blue Boy Holly. They should be readily available where you purchased your Blue Girl. Insects transfer pollen from one holly to the other, so line of sight is best and within 30 or 40 feet. Hollies make good screening plants because their growth is dense, especially if you trim them which forces growth near the center of the plant. The term slow-growth generally means less than 12" per year. With hollies, you can expect 4-6" of new growth per year, depending upon growing conditions. Hollies like adequate moisture but require fast draining soils. So, plan on watering deeply once or twice a week during the growing season.

Hope this answers all your questions!