The Q&A Archives: Schefflera with sap

Question: My otherwise healthy schefflera(growing like crazy)has begun to show large droplets of sap on leaves and branches.Also just recently it has begun to have a yellow leaf appear here and there - enough to scare me a little. It's right next to a large window and I let it go almost dry before watering. Can you suggest what this might be? I'm not finding it in the list of problems for this plant.THX,Carol

Answer: Carol,

You might check to make sure the droplets are not honeydew being produced by scale, aphids, or white flies. These pests of the present on the plant leaves above where you see the droplets. if there are no tests present then I suggest you wiping the leaves and stems with a soft moist cloth or sponge term and the droplets. The plant should be fine. The yellowing leaves maybe a sign of a temporary soil moisture problem such as to to wet to dry. The plant should generally recover from this if the initial damage was not too severe. It may also be a sign that the plant needs a little extra nitrogen so try feeding it with a soluble plant food such as Peters or Miracle Grow.