The Q&A Archives: Mimosa

Question: I know Mimosa will grow here because there is a very nice one 4 blocks away. We are moving and I would like to plant a mimosa in the fromt of the new house. My question is what kind of care do they need (light, water etc.)?

Answer: Mimosa is the common name for both Acacia abyssinica and Albizia julibrissin. I suspect you're looking for Acacia abyssinica, with finely divided, feathery leaves and yellow puffy flowers. This tree will grow 20'-25' tall and 20'-25' wide and is hardy in your growing region. There are dozens of Acacia cultivars to choose from, with flowers ranging from pairs to clusters, described as fluffy, puffy, spikes and masses. Now that you know the botanical name of the tree, you can investigate the habits of each and decide which Acacia you'd like to plant in your new yard.

Mimosa trees grow best in full sunshine. in average,well draining soils.