The Q&A Archives: Cyclamen plants

Question: My boyfriend bought a Cyclamen for me for our 1st. Ann. Since then (6 wks.) it has lost all of its original leaves and flowers wilted and now the pot is almost bare. New leaves have come on, but it does look bad. I keep it out of direct light and water it when it gets dry. Do I need to repot it into another pot and change the dirt that it is in?

Answer: I suspect that what you have is a florist's cyclamen which is suitable for indoor growing rather than a hardy cyclamen which can grow outdoors. What you describe is normal - after flowering the roots need to rest for a few months before they will grow healthy new foliage. Just allow it to rest and don't fertilize or expect flowering for a few months. It isn't necessary to repot the plant.

'Florist's Cyclamen' must have ample humidity. One suitable way of providing the humidity is to simply place a glass or decorative vase full of water near the plant. Then, as the water evaporates it provides the humidity the cyclamen needs.

The second most important requirement of indoor Cyclamen is the need for cool temperatures. Keep them in a room where temperatures range between 55 and 65 degrees.

Keep the soil a little on the moist-side, but never continually wet. Water with room temperature water.

When given proper care it is not unusual for this plant to continue to grow and flower for several years. Generally it is recommended that the tuber be rested for three or four months, once it finishes flowering. After the rest period it will sprout new leaves and at that time you can begin watering regularly again.

Good luck with your cyclamen!