The Q&A Archives: Impatiens

Question: I have had a problem all summer with my impatiens. Shortly after planting they lose lower leaves and end up looking like little umbrellas. After a while the stems seem to flop over and the plant eventually dies. I have grown impatiens for years with no problems so I am stumped. I have looked for bugs, ants, etc and do not see a significant problem. Any suggestions?

Answer: Impatiens can wilt under heat and water stress, so I suspect that's what's happening to yours. Before planting them again you might try amending the soil with organic matter to help it retain moisture. As the plants grow, pinch out the tips of the stems to keep them bushy and dense. This will help them look neat and attractive and help you avoid the bare stems at the bottoms of the plants.

Best wishes with your impatiens!