The Q&A Archives: outdoors to indoor transition

Question: I put a leaved plant (a dish garden type leaved plant-big leaves) outdoors this summer for the humidity. It became scarce through the fall/winter because of dryness. It is not my plant and it was plentiful and full when it came to my house in October. How do I transition this plant indoors without shocking it? It had gotten a huge amount of sunlight and humidity outdoors. I will try to provide more humidity and pick a sunnier area with the shortened amount.of daylight it will get this fall. It just started become full again and I don't want to stunt or halt it's growth or cause it to die and become scarce again. It's my brothers plant. Help me.

Answer: You'll want to make the change gradually. Start by moving it into a shadier spot so it will eventually adjust to lower light levels such as it will find in your home. After a week or so, begin taking it indoors at dusk and outdoors in the morning. Your goal is to keep it inside for a few hours longer each day so that it is eventually indoors 24 hours a day. Inside, give it as much bright light as possible. You might even consider using supplemental lighting such as a gro-light. While it is inside, mist it everyday, or set the pot on a gravel lined tray in which you keep a half inch of water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around the plant.

Best wishes with your dish garden!