The Q&A Archives: Liatris (Kobold)

Question: In the Spring I bought 3 potted Liatris (Kobold) plants. I planted them in full sun and they bloomed beautifully. After blooming however, the stems and flowers wilted and completely dried up. Is that normal for this plant and should I expect it to come back next Spring? Thank you.

Answer: LIATRIS spicata Kobold, also called Blazing Star, Grows about 2' tall. It is a native American wildflower excellent for border, meadow, or wild garden settings. It produces spikes of lavender flowers from summer into fall atop narrow ribbon foliage. It requires excellent drainage and is good for cut or dried flowers. Lavender flowers on multiple spikes seldom taller than 2 1/2'. Unless the plants have experienced an overnight frost, it is not normal for the entire plant to die down to soil level. However, the roots may be just fine so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and wait until next spring for new foliage to emerge from the roots. Liatris is perennial and should regrow and rebloom next spring.

Good luck with your garden!