The Q&A Archives: Pony tail palms

Question: I live in Central New Jersey when do I bring pony tail palms inside for winter?

Answer: You'll want to bring your plants indoors before nighttime temperatures drop below 45F. Ponytail palms are relative tough plants so yours shouldn't suffer too much shock this year if you take it indoors now, but for future reference, you might want to start bringing your plants indoors when nighttime temperatures begin to reach 50F and before you turn on your furnace. If you make the move gradual - indoors overnight, outdoors during the day, keeping the plants in for longer and longer periods each day until they are indoors 24 hours a day, your plants will suffer less shock during the transition. Best wishes with your garden!