The Q&A Archives: Which evergreen trees would be suitable for a screen up close to a house?

Question: We want a privacy screen at the edge of our back patio since our house is located close to the road. I love the

Answer: You might consider some of the upright cultivars of juniper or arborvitae. Check the mature expected size for the specific type you plant to be sure there will be enough to space to accommodate their full size when they grow. They will need full sun or at a minimum a half a day of full direct sun to grow well. Another option if the available space is narrow, or if the area is shady, might be to use an openwork fence and soften the look of it with a vine such as Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus virginiana). I hope this gives you some ideas.