The Q&A Archives: Turf Building and BIG, BROWN mushrooms/fungus problem

Question: I've recently purchased a lovely little home but the lawn and outside the home is where I prefer to spend my time. It's become a routine daily upon return from work to go on

Answer: Mushrooms can indicate overly wet soils or soils that do not drain well. They can also be growing from dead tree roots or construction debris buried beneath the soil surface. Aside from digging up the lawn to remove these items, you can simply rake the mushrooms out as they appear. Eventually the underground roots or wood will decompose completely and mushrooms will stop sprouting. Be sure that the soil drainage is adequate (no mushy areas in your lawn). To keep your St. Augustine lawn looking spectacular, apply a Winterizer, or Winter Conditioner now. It contains timed-release nitrogen and extra potassium to help lawns endure winter stress and green up quickly in spring. Then plan on feeding your lawn in early spring, mid-summer and again in late summer. These fertilizer applications should contain a combination of fast-release nitrogen to green the lawn quickly and timed-release nitrogen to feed grass for up to 2 or 3 months.

Good luck with your lawn!