The Q&A Archives: Heat tolerant plants

Question: If I were to still persist in trying to plant Dogwood trees in my garden how could I recreate or protect them from AZ summer heat? Is there any special watering or soil needs, covering, planting depths, or other requiements that would help?

I'm also getting ready to start planting my calla lily bulbs for annual blooming. My soil is the typical dry sandy earth. Will I need to change or integrate special or a specific enriched soil in it's place?

Answer: Dogwoods grow best in rich, loose, acidic soils with plenty of moisture. They love moisture and humidity. A greenhouse situation, where you can control the environment will ensure success. Outdoors, unless you set up a misting system to increase humidty, they will just wither away. The native soil can be amended with copious amounts of compost or peatmoss to make it more hospitible to your callas.

Good luck in your endeavor!