The Q&A Archives: pruning tibochina

Question: I have a tibochina bush and it is very leggy. Should I cut it back and wait for new growth. If so when?

Answer: You didn't mention where you live so I can't specifically recommend pruning now (unless you live in the southwest where there's barely a winter and your tibouchina grows nearly year around). The best advice is to wait until spring to do any major pruning. Tibouchina is a tropical evergreen tree or shrub, with large hairy leaves, deeply veined, and showy purple flowers. It flowers sporadically over a long season and prefers rich, well drained acidic soil. It requires pruning to prevent legginess. Prune lightly after flowering, and prune most heavily in spring. Pinch tips on young plants to promote bushy growth.