The Q&A Archives: Landscaping a current flower bed

Question: I want to landscape my current flower garden by first pulling all the weeds and then tilling over the open spots and then layering the ground with Preen for weed control and then weedblocker and then top it off by rocking in the garden. I had mulch in the flower garden first but, weeds such as

Answer: Fall is an excellent time to dig, divide and transplant perennials. They should be just fine during the process. I'd recommend laying them on a tarp after removing them from the ground and then folding the tarp over them to keep the roots from drying out before they are replanted. Or, you could group them in buckets and place them in a shady spot until you can replant them. The important thing is to keep the roots moist and don't expose them to bright sunshine, hot temperatures or drying air.

They should establish themselves and be ready to grow next spring.

Best wishes with your garden!