The Q&A Archives: Mexican Avocado

Question: I have a Mexican Avocado in the ground for 5 to 6 years. It blossoms every year, but does not produce. Does it need a polinator? What size is the fruit that it should bare? What should the PH be? What type fertilizer should I give it? Thank you.

Answer: The flowering habit of avocados is unique in that the flowers are perfect, having both male and female organs, but the parts do not function together. Flowers of type A varieties open in the morning as receptive females, then close in the afternoon until the following afternoon when they reopen for pollen shed. On the other hand, flowers of type B avocados open in the afternoon as receptive females, close overnight and reopen the following morning to shed pollen. In important avocado-producing areas, orchards are interplanted with varieties of both types to assure good pollination. Some suggested varieties include Winter Mexican, Lulu, Brogden, and Choquette. Planting two different types will result in better fruit set.

Avocados can have sufficient fruit production if maintained with a consistent and balanced fertilization routine. Use a 6-6-6 or 8-8-8 three to four times a year and make sure trees are sufficiently watered before and after fertilizing to prevent burn damage. Irrigation should be consistent during fruit set, production, and drought periods. Avocado trees grow in soils with a pH range of 6.0 to 7.0 and can suffer from iron deficiency under extreme alkaline conditions. This can be managed with timely applications of iron chelates formulated for such purposes.

Best wishes with your avocado tree!