The Q&A Archives: Front yard garden

Question: Hi, This is my first time working on a garden. My goal is to make a tropical garden in my front yard but i have a problem, I don't know where to start. I'm from the pacific Islands and I love coconut trees, lilies, hibiscus, plumeria, gingers and many more. So, now I'm trying to figure out a way to start my dream tropical garden that describes my personality. Can you please help? Thank you! your help is greatly appreciated.

Answer: You can plant a semi-tropical garden which can include lilies, hibiscus, plumeria and ginger but coconut trees won't fare too well. You can plant citrus trees of all kinds and many different palm trees. You can also plant banana trees and bird of paradise, although they may die down in the winter time. Experience will help you choose just the right plants for your garden. In the meantime, here are some plants that grow well in your region:
Baby Tears
Festuca- Blue or Green
Ice Plant
Myoporum- All Varieties
Australian Violet
Blue Star Creeper
Pink Clover Blossom
Vinca Major- Regular or Varig
Ajuga- Bronze or Green
Baccharis (Coyote Bush)
Mondo Grass
Vinca Minor
Asiatic Jasmine
Hypericum (St. John Wort)
Mondo Grass Dwarf
Sedum- Dragon's Blood
Black Mondo Grass

You can also add color splashes with ageratum, alyssum, begonia, calendula, carnations, celosia, dahlia, dianthus, dusty miller, Iceland poppy, lobelia, marigold, pansy, petunia, portulaca, salvia, snapdragons, stock, verbena, vinca, zinnia, geraniums, impatiens and fuchsias.

Although some of these plants may be foreign to you, I think you'll like the variety. Enjoy!