The Q&A Archives: Arizona Cypress in deep shade as Screen.

Question: I would like to create a live screen between my neighbor and I. The area is a strip about 20' by 100' in size of assorted young and mature deciduous trees. I found Arizona Cypress at a local nusery that I find very intresting. Can they be planted in and under these other trees in fairly deep shade in summer, and I would love any other comments you have about Arizona Cypress. Thank you in avdance. Bud Hines

Answer: Unfortunately, this tree would not be a good choice for a spot under trees or in the shade. The Arizona Cypress (Cupressus arizonica) needs full sun all day long to stay healthy. Most evergreens require full sun to grow well, but you might look into some of the larger growning rhododendrons as a possibility for dappled shade. Another choice might be yews left untrimmed so they reach their full size. Yet another option might be to use fencing; the look of the fence could be softened with an evergreen vine such as English ivy, or simply with a tracery of shade tolerant deciduous vine such as the native Virginia creeper. I hope this gives you some ideas.