The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting

Question: Hello,my name is Silvanna and I would like to know when its the rigth time to start to plant seeds. I live in nj, just in case you need a reference of weather. I had another little question that may sound silly but I would like to know how can I get seeds from flowers that I already have? Would I keep it in a paper envelope or plastic storage? THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP, SIL

Answer: You'll find the seed starting information on the back of the seed package. Most recommend you begin sowing seeds indoors 6-8 weeks prior to the last frost in your region. That means if you start seeds indoors in February, you can plant them outdoors in April. For cold-tolerant annuals such as snapdragons, that would be perfect; for warm season annuals such as tomatoes, you'll want to wait until March to start the seeds so they can go out in May.

Seed saving is just a matter of allowing the flowers to die naturally and then collecting the seedpods that form where the flowers once were. When the seed pods are completely dry, but before they burst open, cut the pods from the stems and turn them upside down in a paper envelope to shake out the seeds. Seal the envelope and write the name of the flower on the front. Then place all of your seed containing envelopes in a plastic bag and store it in a cool, dark place.

Best wishes with your flower garden!